The alcohol and other drugs session is all about harm minimisation and encouraging positive health outcomes. Dr YES educates high school students on why people use drugs, its associated risks and supporting young people to make informed safer decisions. From staying safe at a party to the process of calling an ambulance, students come away from these sessions better equipped in navigating this time of their lives more safely.
All sessions will convey the following outcomes:
- Harm minimisation principles
- Medicare cards and how to use them
- Understanding drug addiction and tolerance
- Know the effects of alcohol
- Discuss reasons people might drink alcohol
- Harm minimisation in a party scenario
- Know what a standard drink is
- Know the law related to drink driving
- Discuss calling an ambulance
- Know that marijuana is a depressant, and potentially a hallucinogen
- Know the short and long term effects of marijuana use
- Understand the de-motivational effects
- Know the legalities of marijuana
- Discuss the risks of synthetic cannabinoids
Other drugs can be discussed if they are raised by the groups or requested by the school. These may include:
- Pharmaceutical stimulants
- Volatile Substances/Inhalants
Sessions are tailored to the age and maturity of the students, and we believe cultural sensitivity is integral to effective communication.
Click the button below to get us to your students!